Poodle Room - Forum
  |  Site Home  |  Breed Info  |  Library  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Shop  |  Site Guide  |
April 18, 2014, 09:20:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Poodle Room!

Home   Help Search Calendar Map Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The poodle coat - shedding?  (Read 1171 times)
pyxigirl
Puppy

« on: March 04, 2008, 07:12:51 PM »

I was doing some research on standard poodles and came across this on a breeders website:

THE POODLE COAT

Poodles are one of a small number of dogs whose coat consists of a human-like hair rather than traditional fur. As a result, poodles donít shed in the same way that most dogs do, as (like people) their hair simply gets longer rather than falling out to be replaced at a constant length. Itís a myth that poodles are totally non-shedding (as a quick glance at a white carpet where any black poodle has recently lain will tell you), and the small amount of hair that they do shed tends to be extremely wiry, and can be even more difficult to get out of carpets, clothing, etc. than the hair of other dogs.

Is this true? I am just wondering how much they do shed?
Roland
Cool Dog
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 11:11:50 PM »

Not an expert, but yes the everything with hair sheds to some degree of another. But in my experiece (which is very little) it's not enough to notice. I don't ever see it even thought I know it has to happen. We have a white Poodle and black rugs. we vaccume twice a week, no dog hear.  Happy

"I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
Helen
Hot Dog
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:47:48 AM »

We've always had two Standards at a time (well, for awhile we had three) and there is no hair problem.  Chula (white) and now Poco (parti) always loved laying on our dark green velour couch, and you'd never know an animal was ever up on it.  The ONLY dog hair that's ever around are the occassional dust bunnies that I find clustered in a corner now and then.  I just pick them up.  It's NOT a problem like a regular shedding dog. 

Also, I'm deathly allergic to dogs and cats.  But I have no allergies to these poo pups at all. It's WONDERFUL!!   Big Grin Big Grin  I can kiss em, and snuggle em, and hug em......

Helen

pyxigirl
Puppy

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 03:12:14 PM »

Oh thats a relief... little to no shedding is a nice thing!  Big Grin
zefi
Co-Administrator
Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:07:20 AM »

Having showdogs means a lot of LONG hair, which is brushed regularly and which seems to coat everything I wear and creates dustbunnies around the house or balls on the carpet.

Greg says 'dont shed, my #@ss!'. But if you think about it... when kept short there is never any hair anywhere on me, him, our clothes, our furniture, the carpet. The only hair is what I cut off or brush out when working out mats. When you have hair thats 10in long or more, of course every hair that comes out will show!

I think that yes, like human hair, poodle hair grows and does fall out eventually. Unlike other dogs who shed on a regular basis, poodles lose only a few hairs a day, not tons a day. Those hairs often stay in the coat cause of the curl and fall out on the brush as you groom them. If you dont brush often they can cause mats.

zefi, montana and romeo in tasmania
my blog: zefisblog.blogspot.com
my art: www.zefiart.com
my poodles: www.pantonepoodles.com
dori47
Puppy

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 10:48:15 AM »

Yes, describing it like a human hair shedding would be accurate. When I had short hair, you never noticed hair collecting in the shower drain, now I have long hair and you can see it. I get handfuls of hair off my dog when I brush out matts, unfortunately, and lots of little hairs after a clipping, but generally you don't notice it. For most pets who are kept clipped fairly short, you could pretty much describe them as nonshedding. If you get them groomed elsewhere ( i.e. not doing it yourself at home) you probably won't even notice the hair at all

Carole Ann, who really hates poodle hair now as she has a 9 month old going through coat change and she is trying to keep the coat for show ARggghhh
Neo
Cool Dog
Norway

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »

I've got to dogs in show coat, I havent seen a hair, exept from the bathroom where i groom them!
I'm also allergic! and its so nice to be able to cuddle and stick your nose in the coat and not feel a thing! Big Grin

Owner of a brown miniatyre and a black dwarf!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

|  Site Home  |  Breed Info  |  Library  |  Forum Home  |  Chat  |  Links, etc.  |  Shop  |  Site Guide  |